Hischier wins the Nolan vs Nico debate. The New Jersey Devils select the highly skilled centre, who becomes the first ever Swiss player taken #1 at the NHL Draft.
Nico Hischier - Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
Born: January 4, 1999 – Naters, Switzerland
Weight: 176 lbs.
Drafted: 2016 CHL Import Draft – Round 1 (6th overall) by the Halifax Mooseheads
Highly touted prospect Nico Hischier was one of the best at the recent Ivan Hlinka tournament. He is a very creative and effective centreman who has very good hockey sense and has the potential to be a deadly power play playmaker. His puck sense is outstanding and puck control is above average. He knows how to protect the puck by putting his shoulder down and skating hard through the defence. Hischier is a very small six-foot centre who lacks some physical strength and exposes his weakness on the ice. He is real quick to shy away from any physical play and will need to hit the weight room if he wants to battle hard for a full CHL season. He needs to have the determination to start and finish the game at 100%.
DID YOU KNOW? In the 2015-16 season, Hischier played 15 games in the highest Swiss league with SC Bern. This is a very rare but remarkable milestone as there are only a handful of 16-year-old kids who have ever played in the Swiss National League. He was coached by Guy Boucher who is now Head Coach of the Ottawa Senators.
1) Yale Hockey Academy forward Jake Chiasson named the 2018 HockeyNow Minor Hockey Player of Year in B.C. powered by HockeyShot
2) OHA Edmonton forward Sean Tschigerl named the 2018 HockeyNow Minor Hockey Player of Year in AB powered by HockeyShot
3) Former HockeyNow Player of the Year Bowen Byram making Giant strides in the WHL
4) The 2018 HockeyNow Minor Hockey Players of the Year ready for the next level
5) Toronto Marlboros defenceman Jamie Drysdale named the 2018 HockeyNow Minor Hockey Player of Year in ON powered by HockeyShot