On Jan. 21, Alberta will be hosting Alberta Hockey Day for the first time. The day will be a celebration and showcase of female hockey.
The main event will take place in Grand Prairie, highlighted by both on-ice and off-ice activities, along with two-time gold medalist and former Team Alberta player Carla MacLeod.
The day will begin with clinics for each age group, then there will be ice times to try goalie and try hockey for first-timers, a big goal for the overall weekend. Off-ice seminars are available for players, coaches and families alike, plus fans can tune into an Alberta Female Hockey League (AFHL) game.
Along with Grand Prairie, Olds, Red Deer, Edmonton, Calgary, Banff/Canmore, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Leduc, and Lloydminster will have smaller scale showcases, including viewings of AFHL games.
It’s been an incredible year for growth of female hockey in Alberta, and this is another big step to promote the game to gain more players, increase retention of players and generally promote the game.Back to Top
1) Prospect Profiles: Ty Smith, Andrei Svechnikov & Joe Veleno
2) CSSHL Expanding in 2017-18 Season
3) Oilers Assistant Coach Jay Woodcroft on Creating Offence from the Cycle
4) Prospect Profile: Jonny Tychonick, Evan Bouchard & Benoit-Olivier Groulx
5) Mom Mondays: Giving Thanks for Hockey!