The brightest and best players in the Alberta Female Hockey League (AFHL) battled in the inaugural Bantam and Midget Elite All-Star Games earlier in January and it was a very positive weekend for the league.
Up in Red Deer at the Midget Elite contest, Team South poured it on in a 5-1 win over Team North. Danica Polson of the hometown Red Deer Sutter Fund Chiefs, who leads the league in points and goals, was an offensive force.
Down in Strathmore at the Bantam Elite game, it was a chess match as Team North scraped by with a 1-0 win over their South counterparts.
Their goalies, Holly Borrett and Elle Boyko, both from the St. Albert Raiders, along with Lloydminster’s Molly Mitchell, all combined for the shutout.
In addition to the All-Star Games, clinics were hosted in communities all over the Wildrose province. Hockey Alberta has been incredibly focused on getting more players in the game and developing skills.
Players were nominated by their coaches, who were chosen from the top two teams in each conference.
The AFHL, new in 2016, joined the Alberta Midget Female Hockey League and Alberta Bantam Female Hockey League together while adding PeeWee under one banner. After this successful weekend and season, events for the AFHL will only grow.Back to Top
1) JUNIOR B UPDATE: KIJHL’s Castlegar Rebels announce new coach and GM; Sharp calling the shots for HJHL’s Three Hills Thrashers
2) On Top of the World: CSSHL Keeps Gaining Traction in Canada’s Hockey Landscape
3) Around the WHL: Eleven WHL players help Canada win Hlinka Gretzky gold; Tigers deal White to ICE
4) Meet Matthew Savoie, the NAX Forward Taking the CSSHL by Storm
5) Meet The Winners Of The 2018 HockeyNow Minor Hockey Player Of The Year Award Powered By Hockeyshot