"And that's all she wrote."
Well, the "she" is actually a "he," as in "me." However, it's true, another minor hockey season is quickly coming to a close.
The final game for the East York Atom Avalanche I help coach in a Toronto house league?
A real heartbreaker, as we gave up a goal with just 20 seconds left denying us a spot in the "Final Four."
Still, it was a fabulous ride. We finished with a solid 11-5-4 record and managed to clinch the regular season crown. (*See the accompanying photo of the pumped up lads - and coaches, including yours truly in the toque!)
More importantly, we had a ton of fun.
Hanging nicknames on all the kids, such as "Cue Ball," "Mad Max" and "Super Swede."
Watching first-time hockey players like "Dobber" and "Hut Hut" discover the joy of playing the greatest game on the planet and improving their skills each time they stepped on the ice.
And, oh yeah, wolfing down a pile of tasty postgame snacks, ranging from Smarties to cupcakes and Christmas cookies.
But not every Avalanche chowed down on their festive treat. While bidding the "O-Dog" a fond farewell after our final game of the season, the little guy let the coaches in on a little secret. Instead of eating his Christmas cookie, "O-Dog" stuck it in a jar to keep as a special (albeit moldy) souvenir of a special season.
O-Dog's mom obviously won't be too thrilled to find out about her lad's hockey keepsake.
But the Avalanche coaches?
Hey! Smelly old hockey socks and stinky old Christmas cookies are what the game is really all about.
1) Around the CWHL: Kessel named head coach of Furies; Kennedy joins Blades as new bench boss
2) On Top of the World: CSSHL Keeps Gaining Traction in Canada’s Hockey Landscape
3) Around the WHL: Eleven WHL players help Canada win Hlinka Gretzky gold; Tigers deal White to ICE
4) Meet Matthew Savoie, the NAX Forward Taking the CSSHL by Storm
5) Meet The Winners Of The 2018 HockeyNow Minor Hockey Player Of The Year Award Powered By Hockeyshot