As the final week of September wraps up, that means roughly a month of minor midget hockey is in the books. By week’s end, all 12 GTHL Minor Midget AAA teams will have played four games while the OMHA’s Eastern AAA Hockey League and its 13 clubs have also been busy carving into the ice.
Even after some of the toughest battles on ice, players from opposing teams always line up at centre ice and skate across to the other team while exchanging handshakes.
Paul Coffey’s hockey playing days may be long gone – but he doesn’t need anyone to remind him of it. “I was leaving the house tonight and I was putting my son’s hockey bag in the back of the car,” said the Hockey Hall of Famer.
Curtis Clairmont will always have a soft spot for two young Russian goalies, Leo Lazarev and Evgeny Kiselev. As president and director of hockey operations for the Waterloo Siskins, Clairmont signed both goalies to play in the Junior B Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League in back-to-back years, Lazarev in the 2013-14 season and Kiselev in 2014-15.
1) Alberta Players Leaving Minor Hockey for Hockey Academies
2) Canadian Goalie Szabados Leaves National Camp to Pursue Spot in Men’s League
3) Wellington Dukes Forward Has Torrid Scoring Start
4) 5 Common Misconceptions About Skating in Hockey
5) Medicine Hat Tigers Looking for Redemption