Mountaineers' Anderson-Dolan named 2014 Minor Hockey Player of the Year - See more at: http://hockeynow.ca/events/leading-edge#sthash.aAcbqZox.dpuf
HockeyNow’s Minor Hockey Player of the Year Award is well on its way to becoming a minor hockey tradition of sorts. The B.C. award has been handed out since 2000, with the program expanding to include Alberta and Ontario last year. “I feel like an old man talking about this award,” said Two-time Stanley Cup Champion Colin Fraser, the first recipient of the award when he was a 15-year-old Bantam. “Obviously, it was something special at the time and something I’ll never forget.”
Since Fraser, no less than 12 other future NHL draftees and players have won, including Gilbert Brule, Karl Alzner, Stefan Elliott, Griffin Reinhart, Morgan Rielly and 2011 first-overall pick Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, to name a few.
“The award is a great honour, especially when you look at some of the people who have won it in the past,” said Nugent- Hopkins of the players who came before him when he was honoured in 2008.
Our Player of the Year Selection Committee, chaired by former NHL defenceman Dave Babych, chooses the winner annually from a list of finalists compiled throughout each season.
With each passing year, as the list of deserving recipients grows, the philosophy upon which the award was built remains the same – to honour the minor hockey players each year who best exemplify hard work, dedication, performance, sportsmanship and leadership both on and off the ice.
2015: Ty Smith
2014: Jaret Anderson-Dolan
Only a few months remain until the winners are announced. For the 17th year, HockeyNow will…
1) JUNIOR B UPDATE: KIJHL’s Castlegar Rebels announce new coach and GM; Sharp calling the shots for HJHL’s Three Hills Thrashers
2) On Top of the World: CSSHL Keeps Gaining Traction in Canada’s Hockey Landscape
3) Around the WHL: Eleven WHL players help Canada win Hlinka Gretzky gold; Tigers deal White to ICE
4) Meet Matthew Savoie, the NAX Forward Taking the CSSHL by Storm
5) Meet The Winners Of The 2018 HockeyNow Minor Hockey Player Of The Year Award Powered By Hockeyshot