The 2017 class of the Order of Hockey in Canada are recognizing Fran Rider and two others for their outstanding contributions or services to the growth and development of the sport in Canada.
The Ontario Hockey Federation (OHF) selected the historic NHL coach Scotty Bowman, IIHF vice president Murray Costello and the President and CEO of the Ontario Women’s Hockey Association, Fran Rider.
Rider was the first executive director of the OWHA in 1975 and has currently had that position since 1982. Fran started out in the banking industry and got into hockey by volunteering. She has been essential to the growth of Canadian women’s hockey, building a path for women in hockey by being a player, a coach, a volunteer and an executive for the game since 1967. This adds to the list of her accomplishments, as she was also recently inducted into the IIHF Hall of Fame for her contributions to growing women’s hockey.
Her name is now mentioned in the same breath along with other hockey greats like Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky and Cassie Campbell-Pascall who have all been honoured, and part of 21 others who make up the Order of Hockey in Canada honourees since its inception in 2012.
Rider and the other honourees will be celebrated at the annual Hockey Canada Foundation Gala & Golf event on June 19 to 20, 2017.Back to Top
1) Meet Matthew Savoie, the NAX Forward Taking the CSSHL by Storm
2) Veteran Hockey Bench Boss Takes Over Milton Icehawks Coaching Reins
3) Victoria Grizzlies Rookie Alex Newhook Carving Up BCHL Far from Home
4) Sudbury Wolves Get one-of-a-kind Quinton Byfield in OHL Draft
5) On Top of the World: CSSHL Keeps Gaining Traction in Canada’s Hockey Landscape